With Great British Bake Off starting again and fun gadgets like this how can we not be thinking about some home made baking? Blackberry season is just around the corner - here is our favourite blackberry pie recipe...
(For the pastry)
- 150g soft salted butter
- 275g plain flour
- 30g icing sugar
- 2 large egg (beaten)
- 1/2 tablespoon water
(For the filling)
- 4 cups fresh blackberries
- 150g granulated sugar
- 65g plain flour
- 2 tablespoons milk
1. Using fingers, rub the butter, plain flour and icing sugar together. Add 1 large beaten egg and 1/2 table spoon of water and briefly kneed before wrapping in clingfilm and chilling in the fridge for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 220ºC
3. Combine 3.5 cups of blackberries with 65g flour and 100g sugar.
4. Chop pastry roughly in half and roll out the bottom of the pie on a lightly floured surface and put in base of pie dish. Lightly brush the base with the remaining beaten egg to prevent soggyness.
5. Place pie funnel in the centre of the pie and pour the sweetened blackberry mixture around it, top with the remaining unsweetened black berries.
6. Roll out the top crust, again on a lightly floured surface and place over top, cut off any excess and use your thumb to crimp to the edges.Brush with milk and sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
7. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce to 190ºC for an additional 20-25 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the crust is golden brown
8. Serve warm with ice cream or custard.