This can be made as a syrup and drizzled over strawberries or cakes, or diluted with fizzy water or prosecco to make elder flower 'champagne'.
- 1 kg sugar
- 1.5 litres water
- 3 medium lemons
- Bunches of elder flower heads (about 20-30 bunches)
- 50 grams citric acid
- Boil water and sugar in a large saucepan and stir to dissolve sugar.
- Remove from heat to cool.
- Remove flower heads from stems (a little stem won't kill you but may bitter the taste) and add them to mixture.
- Stir, cover and leave for at least 48 hours. The syrup can be left for up to 4 days.
- Bring back to boil and remove from heat.
- Add the zest of one lemon, the juice of all the lemons and the citric acid to the syrup and stir.
- Strain the syrup through muslin or a fine sieve.
- Pour into sterilised bottles using funnel, seal and refrigerate.
Muslin or Fine sieve